Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kannalane from Bombay

The first interlude (can also be called as 2nd BGM) of the Kannalane song from the film "Bombay" is just wonderful. A R Rahman (also the composer of this film) sings the vocals (he basically sings the swaras in Sufi style, I think), with the slap bass, tabla and harmonium providing apt accompaniment. The slap bass is just too good and the bass + tabla combination is always good. The harmonium joins towards the end and the song seemlessly moves into the charanam.

Click to Play (opens in new window)

I recently saw this song being performed live by A R Rahman's troupe. Unfortunately they were unable to recreate the magic of this interlude on stage. This is understandable, since the original song would have been sung in different tracks, especially the male voice in this BGM and then overlapped together. I think both the male voices in this BGM are Rahman's, not sure though.

4 comments:

  1. Discovered your blog accidentally. I wanted you to know that the knowledge of people like you is so valuable for people like me who are crazy about music and wish to know the technicalities behind it. Keep up the great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anon for your comments. Keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ramesh, you know what I would thank u so much for this info given its been years I am humming this music without even knowing its properties u helped me a lot in giving its genre and other things thanks and s do come with other things like this we love it to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mohan for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.

    ReplyDelete